No products in the cart.
Terpenes are an Important Component of the Cannabis Plant
Hello, dear reader, and welcome back to our blog! Here at True Terpenes, we have made it our mission to provide people with as much information as possible when it comes to terpenes. When researching terpenes, it is almost impossible to avoid articles dealing with terpenes and the relationship that they have with cannabis. While our terpenes are not derived from cannabis, we do distill terpenes that are also found in different strains of cannabis plants. For this reason, we are going to use today’s post to go over some of the primary and secondary terpenes that are found in cannabis. Keep reading below to learn a little more.
Cannabis Relies on Terpenes
Terpenes, or isoprenoids as they are commonly called, provide cannabis with its unique bouquet. Anyone who has been around a cannabis plant knows that nothing else in nature has quite the same scent as cannabis. The terpenes that give cannabis its unique flavoring and scent consists of repeating units of a compound called isoprene. Although less research has been put towards the study of terpenes in cannabis as opposed to the major cannabinoids found in the plant, terpenes are responsible for many of the physiological and psychoactive effects that cannabis is known for. Below, we have listed some of the major terpenes that are found in cannabis.
- Limonene: In Sativa cannabis strains, limonene is a major terpene responsible for both flavor and effects. Found in other sources, such as citrus fruits, this terpene aids in the absorption of other terpenes through the mucous membranes and epidermis. In concentrated form, limonene is used to help with both anxiety and depression.
- A-Pinene: Largely responsible for the odor associated with cannabis strains, a-pinene is also found naturally in pine trees, turpentine, and other coniferous plants. The most abundant of all terpene varieties, a-pinene acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and bronchodilator.
- Linalool: One of the more interesting terpenes found in cannabis, linalool is noted for its floral scent that is similar to spring flowers, but with spicy notes on the front end. Linalool has become an extremely popular terpene due to its sedative properties and its ability to act as an effective anxiety and stress reliever. This terpene has also been shown to have both analgesic and antiepileptic properties.
- Myrcene: The most prevalent of all terpenes, myrcene is found in a wide variety of cannabis strains. In fact, the concentration of myrcene in a cannabis plant determines whether that strain is considered an Indica or Sativa, greatly affecting the effects that the strain has. Cannabis strains that contain a myrcene concentration of 0.5 percent or less produce an energizing effect, while strains containing over 0.5 percent produce a more sedative effect. In addition to being a major terpene in cannabis plants, myrcene is found in hops, lemongrass, citrus fruits, and thyme, making this terpene one of the most popular in uses related to aromatherapy.
- Terpinolene: Studies have shown that, when inhaled, terpinolene produces a sedative effect on the user. In addition to this psychoactive result, this terpene has been shown to exhibit potential anticancer and antioxidant effects on brain cells, leading some researchers to believe that this terpene could become a valuable medicinal tool in the near future.
- Geraniol: A terpene that is also found in geraniums, geraniol gives off a rosy scent that has made it an extremely popular extract to use in perfumes. In addition to smelling nice, geraniol has been shown to repel mosquitos and presents a potentially protective effect against neuropathy, a type of degenerative disease that affects the nerves outside of the brain and spinal cord.
Join us again next time as we continue to cover some of the most abundant terpenes found in cannabis plants and the ways that these terpenes can be used by the general public. As we mentioned earlier, all of our terpenes at True Terpenes are derived from sources other than cannabis, however, this does not mean that they are any less effective than their cannabis counterparts. Using the latest in distillation techniques, our terpenes are of the highest quality, ensuring that you are purchasing the absolute best terpene product available. To learn more about our products, please visit our website and view out terpenes today.